Thursday, October 1, 2009

Visiting Pinehurst!

We were able to make one last trip - to Pinehurst - before our new addition arrives in a few weeks! Grady of course always loves going to Mimi and Popeye's house, and this trip was no exception. He thoroughly enjoyed walking on the "choo choo track" that Popeye built. He also does not like for either of them to leave his sight for even a minute! I think we must have heard, "Where's Mimi?" or "Where's Popeye?" about a million times that weekend....and that was when they walked into the other room!











For those of you who don't know, my mom is a master at upholstery and sewing! (Actually both of my parents are masters at about a million different things...as you just read, my dad built a decorative wall outside for a little garden area!) I have been wanting to learn upholstery (and sewing) for a while now, so when I found an old rocking chair for $30 at a consignment shop I thought this would be the perfect opportunity! For some reason I actually thought this project could be done in a weekend....well, I was definitely wrong about that. My mom and I spent over two hours in the fabric store (luckily the guys stayed home) and ended up picking out fabric for the rocking chair, as well as for couch pillows, a toy box bench and even for an art project I came up with! It was a lot of fun, and my eyes were opened up to about a million different possibilities once I actually had some of these skills! The only other thing we were able to do regarding the chair that weekend was to take off the existing fabric, which was definitely more labor intensive than I realized! Here is a before and after picture of the rocking chair. Unfortunately, we had to head home before the chair was actually re-upholstered....but my mom is going to finish that part since we kind of have a lot going on in the next couple of months! I'm still planning on learning one day- I will put a picture up of the finished product once it's done!

I did manage to make four pillow slip covers for our couch after learning how to use the sewing maching! Well, I made three successfully and soon realized after finishing the fourth one that I did it completely wrong! Needless to say, that one is still in Pinehurst being repaired!

No comments:

Post a Comment